Monday, March 21, 2011

Speaking the Truth Often Unpopular But the Right Thing To Do!

I have been a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator a long time.  A very long time.  Since 1980.

I have always prided myself in giving the most recent, evidence-based information to my clients, even before it was in vogue and "evidence-based" was a popular term.  My clients had all of their options before them, ready to make choices made with full, unbiased information.  I watched my voice inflection and body language to not give away my (few) biases.  I didn't want to sway them.  It was their birth.

Because I gave the most current, evidence-based information, I was not popular with some.  Mainly because what I spoke was sometimes contrary to "the way we've always done it" or contrary to "our policy".  Even when I would show the professionals telling me those things that the evidence was in their own journals, it didn't seem to matter.  I cannot teach what isn't accurate.  I have to tell the truth.

I have a binder in my office with evidence-based articles.  I have two websites full of the evidence-based information.  I still believe that providing my clients with the current research, evidence-based information and letting them make their informed decisions is the right thing to do.

And I hope I continue to teach and share the research for another 30+ years!  


No comments: