Friday, March 09, 2012

Why I Do What I Do....

Someone mentioned to me the other day that she'd heard several people quote something I'd had on Birthsource.com or on my Facebook page.  The implication was "how does she do it, tirelessly and nearly every day."  The answer is simple.

As a nurse, childbirth educator, birth researcher/writer, I have a calling for this work.  It is my calling to provide, in as many venues as possible, evidence-based information for both parents and birth professionals.  When that information is available for both to read and embrace, it makes for informed choices on all parts.  When a large group, such as parents and birth professionals embrace the same informed decisions, then we have a mandate...a mandate for change in the maternity care system.

This is why I do what I do.  Because every day millions of women are being lied to about what is safe for their babies.  Every day, birth professionals are working under the wrong assumptions that the care they provide is the best quality care.  And every day, the maternal/infant morbidity and mortality rates in this country are getting worse.  Every day, the cesarean rate and elective induction rate stands outrageously high.  Every day, mothers and their babies are put at risk.

That is why I do what I do.  And don't be deceived.  I have been doing this work for over 30 years and watching things get worse is not pleasing.  Much of the reason why things are not improving is a complex compilation of poor marketing/dissemination of evidence-based information to both parents and professionals plus the lack of cohesiveness between birth professionals.  We just simply cannot work together.  Many feel the need to empire build for their own selves and do not see the work for the big picture.  This also is not pleasing.

I also do what I do because I want to be there as a helper, "doula", mentor and cheerleader for others who have the same passion/obsession as I.  Early in my career, I had people (women and men) who were my helpers, mentors and cheerleaders.  Returning the favor is also what it is about.

The answer is simple.

No comments: