A component of social media that seems to have everyone in a frenzy is blogging.
What is a blog? It is verbal shorthand for weblog or a web based log of activity or information.
1. Decide to whom are you blogging. Parents? Professionals?
Will this be an opinion piece or something evidence based?
Know the definition of plagiarism and don’t fall into this practice.
2. Will this blog be from you personally, several individuals or on behalf of your company?
3. How much time do you have to write? Can you devote one day per week to write the piece and put it on your blog?
4. Yes turn on your spell check feature, but do you have someone to edit the piece for errors that spell check will not find?
5. Based on the above questions, what will your blog be called?
Now that you have some of the
basics down, it is time to choose a blog platform and set it up. While there are at least a dozen platforms, the top two platforms are Wordpress and Blogger. Both are easy, free, and creative in
design. Investigate them both and then you’ll need to decide on free hosting or pay-to-host. The difference, other than spending money, is that your blog URL may look different. For example, a free blog URL will look like this yourblogname.wordpress.com. A pay-to-host blog UR will be yourblogname.com. To some it matters what the URL looks like, to others, not so much.
For the purposes of this blog, I am going to walk you through the steps of creating a blog on Blogger.
Personally, I have found Blogger also easy and free and compatible with my own website. Linking a blog and a website in the “circle of social media” is important for blog success! But that is marketing, which will be discussed later.
To set up a blog in Blogger, go to www.blogger.com. Create an account or you can use your sign-in information if you have a gmail account. You will then be prompted to name your blog, and put in the URL. You will want the name of your blog in your URL. Then you’ll be prompted to select a template.
In the next blog, we’ll take a look at working on your template once it has been selected.